Yum Yum!


Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hot Chocolate Shortbread

I think I was in the new apartment less than 24 hours before I got the urge to bake. I held off for a few days and now I’m ready to go!

I came across this recipe a while back in a magazine, using hot chocolate in a recipe got my attention. I tore it out and have been dying to try it for a while. I’m glad I finally got to it because it was a fun way to use my peanut butter hot chocolate. And now that we live where it is hot, hot chocolate doesn’t seem quite so exciting. But baking with the hot oven still does!






Hot Chocolate Shortbread
Nonstick cooking spray
2 C flour
1/3 C instant hot cocoa powder
¼ tsp salt
12 Tbsp softened butter
½ C sugar
1 egg
Frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x13 inch pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. Combine flour, hot cocoa, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat the butter and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and beat well. Gradually add the flour mixture until just combined, scraping sides.
3. Spread the dough evenly in the prepared pan. Bake until firm to the touch, 30-35 minutes. Lift foil and shortbread cookie from pan and allow to cool. Once cooled, frost.

Chocolate Powdered Sugar Icing
1 C powdered sugar
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp vanilla
Milk
1. In a small bowl combine powdered sugar with cocoa powder. Add vanilla and 1 Tbsp of milk. Stir in additional milk one tsp at a time until it has reached drizzling consistency.
I really enjoyed this dessert. The shortbread was just kind of fun and different. And the frosting seriously just melts in your mouth; I could eat this stuff all day! If you don’t feel like baking anything, you could so make this frosting and use it as a dip for fruit or store bough cookies or grahams. Heck, you could even eat it by the spoonfuls. Well, I could!

No comments: