Yum Yum!


Saturday, May 12, 2012

Decorated Almond Cake


I made this cake just because I wanted to. Isn't it pretty? I used a recipe from a cupcake book my sister gave me and it was fabulous! I really loved it, it was a slightly denser cake, kind of like a pound cake. I actually left out the ground almonds and it still had a wonderful flavor. Then I had some more fun with the icing I made a few days ago, and topped it with my FAVORITE chocolate glaze that I use all the time. It goes really well with rocky road ice cream too!

Almond Cupcakes
(I just used this recipe and baked them longer in two round cake pans, maybe 40-50 minutes)

1 3/4 C sour cream
2 sticks butter
1/2 C veggie oil
3 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 C sugar
2/3 C almonds, ground and toasted (optional)
4 large eggs at room temp.
2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 325. Spray cake pan or line with cupcake liners.
2. Cream 1 C sour cream, butter and oil.
3. In another bowl sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Mix in almonds if using.
4. Add the dry ingredients to creamed mixture, one third at a time, mix well after each addition.
5. In another bowl mix eggs, remaining 3/4 C sour cream and both extracts.
6. Add egg mixture to batter in thirds, beat 1 minute on medium speed after each addition.
7. Fill cupcakes 3/4 full and bake 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

Dark Cocoa Glaze
3 T water
2 T butter
3 T cocoa
1 C powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Heat water and butter in saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a boil; remove from heat. Immediately stir in cocoa. Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth; cool slightly.

No comments: