Yum Yum!


Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fudge Nut Pie

Here it is, the yummiest pie of all! I made the family favorite, fudge nut pie, for some friends who came over for dinner on Saturday night. It was a hit! It's rich, thick, nutty, fudginess won their hearts! I know the original recipe calls for meringue, but I don't care for it. And some people serve it with whipped cream, but I just don't think it needs anything else except maybe a tall glass of cold milk.

Note: This recipe makes one really big heaping pie. I cut the recipe in half and it fit well into my pie crust.

Fudge Nut Pie
1 baked 10" pie shell
2 2/3 C sugar
1/2 C flour
1/2 C cocoa
2 cans evaporated milk
6 egg yolks, slightly beaten
4 T butter
3 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 C chopped walnuts

Sift together sugar, flour and cocoa; gradually stir in milk. Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Reduce heat; cook and stir 4 minutes. Add a small amount to the egg yolks, then return it all to the pan. Cook and stir another 1-3 minutes until very thick. Remove from heat; stir in butter, vanilla, and nuts. Cool 5 minutes and turn into pie shell. Cover with meringue and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.

No comments: