Yum Yum!


Monday, August 16, 2010

Happy Birthday Travis!!!

Today is my sweetheart's birthday! It is a very special day indeed, so it called for an extraordinary cake! I went with homemade yellow cake, homemade butter cream frosting, AND homemade fondant! I'd never made homemade fondant before so I was a little unsure of what to expect. But Travis LOVES fondant and I really wanted to try decorating with it. I actually think for a first timer, I didn't do too bad. I'm not all that skilled in pipping frosting either, so I am quite proud of my jumpman!




Pretty yummy with a glass of milk! Although I admit some ice cream would have been really nice. But now that we live waaay out in the middle of nowhere, we can't run to the store to pick up ice cream on a whim! I'll plan ahead for that next time!
I think Dillon was actually trying to dodge the camera, the little stinker! At least he enjoyed my cake, even though he was very tired and ready for bed.

Fondant

2 C marshmallows
2 T water
1 tsp vanilla
3 C powdered sugar

In a big pot on the stove add water to marshmallows, slowly heat and stir until it is like syrup. Mix in vanilla. Remove from heat. Mix in sugar. Coat hands and work surface with crisco, and be careful because it will be hot. Knead until it is smooth, add more sugar or water if necessary.

No comments: