Yum Yum!


Friday, November 19, 2010

Walnut Rocha

Yet another opportunity to bake due to Travis' work potluck! This week I ventured into the candy zone of my Better Homes and Gardens book. Candy always sounds delicious, but it scares me because I know it can be tricky, temperamental and unforgiving. I read the recipe several times through and had all my ingredients at the ready so I would not screw it up! I also read up on testing candy at the 'soft crack' stage since I don't have a candy thermometer. And it turned out great! I wonder if I needed to cook the bottom layer just a tad longer for a crunchier texture, but it still looked and tasted great. I was kind of mad at myself for forgetting to take a picture of the cute platter I had Travis take to work, so I only got a shot of the left overs I kept for us.

Nut Rocha

2 C butter
2 C sugar
1/3 C water
2 T light corn syrup
1 3/4 C chocolate chips
1 C finely chopped nuts, I used walnuts

1. Line a 15x10 pan with foil, set aside.
2. In a 3 quart saucepan melt butter. Stir in sugar, water and corn syrup. Cook over medium high heat to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved. This is where you should use a candy thermometer and stir for about 15 minutes, until it is at 290, soft crack stage. I did the cold water test, by putting a few drops into a cup of cold water and it separates into hard, pliable threads that can't be shaped into a ball. It took a little more than 15 until it reached this stage. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate with bubbles over entire surface. Remove from heat and remove thermometer.
3. Carefully pour mixture into prepared pan and spread evenly. Cool about 5 minutes or until the top is set. Sprinkle chocolate and let stand 2 minutes. Spread the softened chocolate over toffee mixture. Sprinkle nuts on top and gently press them in. Let stand at room temperature for several hours until set. Use foil to lift candy out and break into pieces.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the title of your blog. The post looks outstanding. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

scubamom said...

Yummy!