Yum Yum!


Sunday, March 14, 2010

Irish Soda Bread

I'm feeling festive!

Since St. Patty's day is coming up, one night for dinner we tried out Irish Soda Bread. It is sort of like a biscuit type bread and I really enjoyed it!


Of course you can't have just bread for dinner (well, you can I suppose), so I made a cheesy potato soup. It was a great match! I didn't follow an exact recipe for the soup, I rarely do when it comes to stuff like that, but I will share what I did.


Irish Soda Bread
3 Tbsp softened butter
2 1/2 C flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C buttermilk
1/2 C raisins (optional)

Cut butter into flour. Mix in sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt until fine and crumbly. Stir in raisins if using them. Stir in buttermilk slowly. Turn onto floured surface and knead for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Shape into a round loaf. Cut an X shape 1/2 inch deep. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake 35-45 minutes at 375.

-Since I didn't have buttermilk I added a dash of vinegar to regular milk, it works just the same!
-I cut the recipe in half since it was just for the two of us and it baked for maybe 25 minutes.


Cheesy Potato Soup
I cubed a potato and boiled it in water with a chicken bullion cube until soft. Then I put the potato and broth into the blender until smooth. I poured it all back into the pot I boiled it in, then added shredded cheese, dried parsley, salt and pepper. And Voila! Cheesy Potato Soup! Delicious!

No comments: