Yum Yum!


Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

Today I made these cupcakes for Travis' potluck tomorrow. It is the last one of the school year-I'm so sad! So anyway, I wanted to try out a recipe from a new cupcake book that my sister, Cherie, gave me for my birthday. I made cookies and cream cupcakes with a chocolate frosting and topped them with white chocolate stars.



Originally I wanted to make hi-hat cupcakes, which look something like this:

But apparently it is harder than it looks. :-(

So, I made my cute little chocolate stars instead. These were actually more difficult to make than the regular chocolate ones I made the other day. I don't know what the difference was, but they gave me a tough time and kept breaking. But I managed to pull it off!

Oh yes, and as for the recipe: thumbs up yumminess!


Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
1 stick butter at room temperature
1 C milk
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 C flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 2/3 C sugar
3 large egg whites at room temp.
1 C crushed Oreos

Preheat oven to 350 and line cupcake pan with liners or spray with cooking spray.
Cream together butter, milk, and vanilla for 3-5 minutes.
In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to butter mixture. Stir in sugar. Beat for 30 seconds on low speed, then on a medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the egg whites and beat for 2 more minutes. Stir in Oreos.
Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake about 20 minutes.

Chocolate Frosting
6 T butter
2 tsp vanilla
3 C powdered sugar
3/4 C cocoa powder
1/3 C milk

Cream the butter and vanilla with electric mixer. In a separate bowl combine powdered sugar and cocoa. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture until fluffy and fully mixed. Slowly add the milk until you have reached desired consistency. You may not need all of the milk. Beat until creamy.
(I doubled the frosting recipe so I could get higher frosting swirls and this is a pretty dark chocolate frosting so if you didn't want it to be quite as strong you could easily cut back and use less cocoa.)

No comments: