Yum Yum!


Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hawaiian Cake

We had some friends over for dinner this weekend and I wanted to make a cake that represented spring and that would showcase my cake stand. So I turned to this recipe. It comes from a binder that I have, full of family recipe's from relatives on my Great Grandma Summer's side. My mom submitted this recipe and I have to apologize to her, and anyone who has specific connections to the original recipe because I did alter it to fit my needs. But it was still fabulous nonetheless. And now that I am more familiar with the textures of the recipe, I can see what I could have done differently to make it prettier. But, for this being my first layered cake ever, I don't think it was all that bad. And it really was refreshing and delicious!



Hawaiian Cake
(the original)

1 lemon cake mix
1 8oz package cream cheese
1 8oz packages of vanilla pudding
2 C milk
1 large can crushed pineapple, drained
12 oz cool whip
shredded coconut
maraschino cherries

Make cake mix as directed on box, bake in the largest pan size. Cool completely. Mix softened cream cheese, milk, and pudding. Fold in pineapple. Spread on cake. Top with cool whip. Sprinkle with coconut and arrange cherries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.



What I did differently...
I baked the cake in two 9 inch round pans.
I used raspberry jelly as a filling to separate the layers.
I added an extra vanilla pudding to thicken the mixture so I could spread it on the sides too, next time I would add less milk.
I left off the cool whip and cherries, only because the extra toppings would mean I could not fit the lid on my cake stand and I wanted to protect the cake from tasting like onion that was chopped and stinking up the fridge. And in the end, I decided not to add the cool whip and cherries anyway cause I liked the taste just great without them.

No comments: