Yum Yum!


Friday, May 13, 2011

Cream Pie with Chocolate Stars

I have no reason or excuse for making this dessert, other than I just really wanted to. I did take some over to a neighbor to share so we wouldn't eat the whole thing in one night, which I probably could have done!

It isn't really what I think of when I hear 'cream pie' but it isn't a cheesecake either, so I'm not sure what to call it. The original recipe called it a strawberry and cream pie.
I got this recipe from a little pamphlet at a store that came with coupons. The original recipe says to top it with fresh strawberries. I'm sure that is yummy and all, but I didn't have any. What I did have was chocolate, which was delicious and I got creative with it so it looked pretty too!

Seriously, I don't know which part I loved most, the homemade crust, the light creamy center or the chocolate stars-I loved it!


Cream Pie
1 pie crust
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 C sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
4 oz cool whip
garnish such as fresh berries, chocolate candies, etc.

Prepare pie crust according to directions and cool. In a medium bowl combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add in cool whip until fluffy. Spread into cooled pie crust. Top with garnish and refrigerate until ready to serve.

For the chocolate stars, I melted some chocolate and spread it evenly onto waxed paper. I waited until it was mostly solid but still flexible-maybe 45 minutes. Then I used a cookie cutter to cut out my shapes.

Pie Crust
1 1/3 C flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 C crisco
3 T water

Mix flour and salt. Cut in crisco until uniform. Sprinkle water and toss lightly with a fork (being really cautious of not over handling). Shape into a ball. Roll out on floured surface.

No comments: